May 1, 2019
Hello and welcome back to my wedding hair and makeup San Antonio blog! In my last blog, “Secrets Inside my Makeup Kit Part: 1”, I revealed a few secrets in my professional makeup kit that I always keep on hand. We talked about some great brands such as Graftobian, Temptu, Tarte, and Anastasia Beverly Hills, just to name a few of them. We discussed all the great attributes of each brand and why they are important to my kit and to my clients. I hope that that information was interesting and of value to you guys.I always get questioned by my clients as to what my favorite makeup products and brands are and why I keep them stocked in my kit. It is important for my clients to understand the high value of the products that I use and why they are valuable to them.
In this blog, “Secrets Inside my Makeup Kit: Part 2”, we will take a look inside my own personal makeup and skin care kit. We will discuss my own personal skin care routine and why skin care is so important.Not only will we discuss the value of good skin care, I will also provide you with a few tips to achieve healthy skin which I incorporate into my daily routine as well. We will look at each product individually and discuss the attributes and uses for each product. We will also look at each of my makeup products that I keep stocked in my own kit.We will discuss the attributes and uses for each product.
This will be a long blog, so sit back, relax, and pour a cupof coffee (or wine!) and get ready to take a deep dive into my own persona lmakeup and skin care kit. My goal as a makeup artist San Antonio is for you to learn how to use certain products and why they are important to have in your own skin care and makeup kit.
In order for our makeup to look the very best that it can,we have to start with good skin care first. A good skin care routine is the first step to a glowing and beautiful makeup application. It doesn’t just star twith the products that you apply to your skin but it also includes a good diet,plenty of sleep and lots of water. As scientists learn more about diet and the body, it is increasingly clear that what you eat significantly effects the health and age rate of your skin.
Here is a list of foods that you can incorporate into your diet that will help your skin be the best that it can be:
1. Fatty fish such as salmon, mackeral, and herring, contain Omega-3 fatty acids that can help reduce inflammation and also helos keep skin moisturized. This type of seafood contains a source of high quality protein that is needed for maintaining the strength and integrity oft he skin.
2. Avocados are high in healthy fats that your skin needs to stay flexible and moisturized. They also protect your skin from UV sundamage that can cause wrinkles and early signs of aging.
3. Walnuts are a good source of essential fatty acids that your body can not make on it’s own. They also contain zinc, Vitamins E and C, selenium, and protein which are all nutrients your skin needs to stay healthy. Another nut that packs a punch is sunflower seeds.
4. Sweet potatoes are one of my very favorite foods! They contain a high amount of beta carotene which acts as a natural sunblock.
5. Vitamin C is necessary to create collagen which is the structural protein that keeps your skin strong. Vitamin C can be found in red and yellow bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. I recommend taking a vitamin C supplement in addition to your daily multivitamin. I take a Vitamin C supplement and I also apply Mario Badescu’s Vitamin C Serum every other night to my face.
6. Soy contains isoflavones which have been shown to improve wrinkles, skin elasticity, dryness, collagen, and it also protectsyour skin from sun damage.
7. Ladies, listen up! Chocolate is next! Cocoa contains antioxidants that can protect your skin from sunburn. They help improve skin thickness, wrinkles, hydration, blood flow, and skin texture.
8. Another favorite, ladies, is red wine! Red contains resveratrol which is an antioxidant that may slow your skin’s aging process by impairing harmful free radicals that can damage your skin. Of course, red wine is only recommended in small doses and with responsible drinking habits.
If you would like a more extensive list of foods that are beneficial for your skin, head over to www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-foods-for-healthy-skin#section12where the above information was taken from.
Why is water so important for your skin? Your skin is an organ and like any other organ, it is made up of cells. Cells are made up of water. Without water, the cells will not function properly. Not drinking enough water will cause your skin to be dehydrated which can lead to dry, flaky skin.Eight glasses of water each day is the recommended amount of water to keep your body and your skin sufficiently hydrated. (Www.uwhealth.org/madison-plastic-surgery/the-benefits-of-drinking-water-for-your-skin/26334)
Sleep is important for healthy skin. Web MD suggests 7-9hours of quality sleep each night. The benefits of a good’s night rest for your skin are as follows:
1. Fewer wrinkles. Your skin makes new collagen when you sleep which prevents sagging.
2. Glowing complexion. Your body boosts blood flow while you sleep which can lead to a healthier glow.
3. Brighter, less puffy eyes (www.webmd.com/beauty/features/beauty-sleep#1)
Now that we have discussed some things that you can do to improve your skin and why good skincare is important, let’s take a look at my own skincare routine! I start the day off by beginning my daily water intake immediately. Your body is dehydrated after a night’s rest so it is important to start drinking water right away especially if you are a coffee drinker like I am. Coffee dehydrates the body even further. Here is a list of my daily skincare products, their uses, and how I use them.
1. I cleanse my face with CeraVe foaming facial cleanser for normal to oily skin. This product was recommended to me by my dermatologist when I began experiencing break outs a few years ago. A foaming facial cleanser is essential for removing makeup, excess oil, and dirt. It is important to choose a cleanser that will not disrupt the skin’s natural protective barrier. It’s also important to choose a cleanser that is gentle with ingredients that maintain the moisture balance of the skin. This cleanser features ceramides which help to restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier, hyaluronic acid which attracts moisture to the skin’s surface and helps the skin retain it’s hydration, and niacinamide which helps the skin barrier and calms the skin. It is non-comedogenic, therefore, it will not clog the pores. It is also fragrance free which helps to prevent fragrance irritation. (Www.cerave.com/skincare/cleansers/foaming-facial-cleanser)I have used this product for several years and have not experienced any further breakouts!
2. I then use a cotton ball and apply Mamonde RoseWater Toner. This is a multitasking beauty water which tones, soothes, andhydrates the skin. It prepares the skin for the the next steps in your skincare routine. Benefits of using this toner:
a. Vegan certified
b. Antioxidant rich extract from 100% USDACertified Organic Damask rose soothes and purifies the skin
c. Fast absorbing hydration
d. Lactic acid (AHA) gently exfoliates the skin for a smoother appearance (www.us.mamonde.com/hydrating-beauty-water-face-toner-1.html
3. Once the toner has been absorbed into my skin, I pat on Hydra Nutrient Radiance Restore Oil by Urban Skin Rx. I have seen such adifference in my skin since I began using it about a month ago! My skin tone is more even and looks more youthful. The Hydra Nutrient Radiance Restore oil is an age defying , multitasking, luxury face oil that nourishes the skin with a potent punch of radiance restoring vitamins. This powerhouse of nutrients includes antioxidants, omegas, and vitamin A. These ingredients help to keep the skin hydrated, even toned, and smooth textured. It also improves the appearance of fine line and leaves a glowing complexion. This product is suitable for all skin types. It is a great product for anyone who has aging skin, fine lines, dehydrated skin, uneven skin tone, and oil/blemish prone skin. (Www.urbanskinrx.com/products/hydranutrient-radiance-restore-oil)This product is gold!
4. The next thing that I do is to apply a moisturizer. Moisturizing your skin is important for the following reasons:
a. It reduces the chances of skin problems. It helps to keep the skin balanced. If your skin tends to be oily, you should look for a lotion instead of a cream which also has an exfoliant ingredient. If youhave dryer skin, you should look for a cream because they tend to have a higher oil content.
b. It can reduce the appearance of other blemishes
c. Helps your skin stay young. The skin on your face replaces itself more often than any other area on your body. Moisturizing gives your skin the boost that it needs to repair itself and stay healthy.
d. Fights wrinkles. According to the British Journal of Dermatology, people with properly hydrated skin accumulate wrinkle sat just a fraction of the rate of those with dry skin.
e. It replaces the moisture lost after a hot bath or shower which strips the moisture out of the skin. It protects your skin from the stresses of the day and leaves your skin feeling not only clean but feeling great as well! (Www.burkewilliamsspa.com/2014/10/23/5-reasons-must-moisturize-skin-2/)
My favorite moisturizer is NutrientCharged Water Gel by Murad. It is a nutrient charged blend of peptides,vitamins, and minerals which strengthen the skin’s barrier and leaves it plump and smooth (www.murad.com/product/nutrient-gel-moisturizer/).
5. After fully moisturizing my entire face, I then give some extra attention to my under eye area. My under eye area can get really dry which causes my eyes to look wrinkly and my concealer to crack. Not a very flattering look! My favorite product for the under eye area is the Lip and Eye cream by The Organic Pharmacy. This product is a nourishing, duala ction cream for both eyes and lips. It reduces the appearance of puffiness and dark circles. It also reduces the appearance of fine lines. You can also apply this product to your lips for a quick punch of hydration for thirsty lips (www.theorganicpharmacy.com/health-beauty/lip_eye-cream/72).
That pretty much sums up my morning routine! Now moving onto my night time skin care routine. I cleanse with the same facial cleanser as mentioned above as well as tone with the same toner. However, I do follow a few different steps here:
1. After cleansing and toning, I then pat on Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II by Estee Lauder. This is a powerful night time serum which renews the skin for a more radiant, youthful look. It is intensely hydrating and instantly adds radiance. It reduces the key signs of aging with powerful antioxidants and Hyaluronic Acid which helps to lock in moisture. This product also helps the skin look more even toned. (Www.esteelauder.com/681/26959/product-catalog/skincare/advanced-night-repair/synchronized-recovery-complex-ii#)
2. Every other night, I then pat on the Vitamin C Serum by Mario Badescu. All of the benefits and uses are mentioned above.
3. On the off night of using the Vitamin C Serum,after using the Night time Serum, I then pat on Aczone Gel 7.5%. This is a prescription acne fighting gel that was prescribed by my dermatologist. This is a non retenoid and does not contain benzyol peroxide which can dry the skin out. (Www.aczone.com/gel.html)I have been using this product for about a year and it is a lifesaver!
4. After either patting on the Vitamin C serum orthe Aczone, I will then pat on the moisturizer which I described in the morning routine.
5. After that, I will give my under eye area special attention once again. At night, I like to use Cold Plasma Eye by Perricone MD. This is a multitasking product that uses a proprietary liquid crystal delivery system for quicker and deeper penetration of the product into the skin. It is packed with potent ingredients including Vitamin C Ester,copper tripeptides, and omegas 3, 6, and 9. This product helps to correct dark circles, lift, firm, and smooth the eye area. (Www.perriconemd.com/skincare/shop-by-collection/cold-plasma-collection/advanced-eye-cream-5342.html)
There are a few other products that I incorporate into my skin care routine about once a week.
1. One of my very favorite products is the Luminous3 Minute Peel by Real Chemistry. I use this once or twice a week depending onthe shape of my skin. This is a “Protein Peel” that can remove large amounts ofexcess, dead epidermal skin cells in a matter of seconds. Resurfacing the skin is recommended at least once a week depending on your skin type. You can find more information on how to use this product at www.myrealchemistry.com/product/luminous-3-minute-peel/
2. Once a week, I also use Three Times Sublime 3 in1 Wash, Scrub, and Mask by Formula 10.0.6. This is a super multi tasking product that removes excess oil, unclogs pores, and eliminates blemishes. Pinkgrapefruit cleanses while jojoba exfoliates. I love this product!
3. A tool that I love to use, especially in the mornings, is the Hydracool Calm and Correct Ice Roller by Urban Skin Rx. Thisis a tool that you keep in the freezer until you are ready to use it. You rollit over your face, concentrating on the problematic areas. This tool is useful for the following:
a. Quickly reduces the appearance of under eye puffiness for a fresh look
b. Smooths the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles,and pores
c. Promotes blood circulation and cellular activity for a smoother skin appearance
d. Reduces the appearance of redness and inflammation while calming the skin
e. Relieves inflamed breakouts and irritation
4. If all this isn’t enough, I also apply an eye mask to my eyes once a week. I usually apply the Lip and Eye Cream by the Organic Pharmacy and then apply the eye mask over it. This helps give my eyes a super dose of moisture!
That about wraps up my skin care routine. It’s extensive but well worth the investment of time and money! What has helped me determine and discover the best skincare products for my face is my monthly subscription to Birchbox. Not only do they send you high end samples, they also instruct you on how to use the products. They also offer 20% off box products from time to time which is helpful because the full sized versions of the sample products are not cheap. You have to be careful with which products you fall in love with!
Now on to my favorite makeup brands and products that I keep as staples in my own personal makeup kit! Here is a list of a few of my favorite products and brands:
1. Lately, I have really been steering away from using traditional foundation. I find that since I have been following the above skin care routine, my skin is looking better than ever. Traditional foundation just tends to cover up my skin instead of enhancing it. I want my pretty skin to be shown off, not covered up. If you are looking for a traditiona lfoundation, I do have a couple of recommendations. If you are looking for a foundation that is sweat proof with perfect coverage, I recommend the All Nighter foundation by Urban Decay. I used to use this all of the time when I worked. As a San Antonio makeup artist, the summer months get hot and I tend tosweat a bit when I work. This foundation kept me looking pretty good and was very long lasting. Another foundation that I recommend is the Naked foundation by Urban Decay. This has a lighter coverage but is not as durable as the All Nighter. I used this product if I just needed my makeup to last a shorter while and I knew I was going to be in an air conditioned setting. Although these products are great, I have since put them aside for the following products:
a. Daily Correct CC Cream by Supergoop! I tend to reach for this product when I want a more natural, glowy complexion. I’m in the color Fair/Light. This color correcting cream softens the appearance ofwrinkles, fine lines, and pores. This is foundation and skin care in one! It also contains SPF 35 which helps protect again sun damage. Apple extract, which is high in Vitamin C and natural alpha hydroxy acids, helps the skin appear brighter and smoother. Irish Moss and Red Seaweed Extract protects the skin from free radicals. Sodium Hyaluronate is a molecule that’s able to hold 1000 times it’s weight in water. It attracts and maintains the skin’s moisture. (Www.supergoop.com/daily-correct-cc-cream)This product creates a beautiful, glowing complexion and provides just enough coverage for your natural skin to peek through. It is also very long lasting.It doesn’t drip or smudge as regular foundations can.
b. Another product that I use is the No Makeup Foundation Serum by Perricone MD. This is a sheer natural looking foundation which fuses effortlessly with the skin to create a luminous and dewy glow. I’m in the color Fair. I find that this foundation has a more matte appearance andI use it when I want to look a little more “dressed up” because of the finish and coverage. It feels like airbrushed makeup on the skin and does not run or smudge as some traditional foundations can. This product is also a great add to your skin care routine. It contains Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) which is a fatty acid found in every cell of your body. It reduces the appearance of lines,wrinkles, and enlarged pores over time. This product also contains Vitamin Ester C which is a highly stable and less irritating form of Vitamin C. Ester C gives the appearance of collagen rich skin by smoothing, brightening, andminimizing skin discoloration over time (www.perriconemd.com/no-makeup-skincare/face/no-makeup-foundation.html)
2. My favorite concealer to use is the Naked Concealer by Urban Decay. This product does not crack or fade and can hold up in the heat. I’m in the color Light/Neutral.
3. My favorite setting powder is Smooth Operator byTarte. This is an Amazonian clay tinted pressed finishing powder. I like it because it has a blurring effect and keeps the shine away for hours.
4. I don’t really have a favorite mascara. I usually just use whatever I have on hand or what’s on sale.
5. My favorite bronzer to use is Sun Bunny by TooFaced. This is a dual toned bronzer. I usually mix the two colors together.Sometimes, when I’m in a rush or wanting just a subtle contour, I will contour with the darker color.
6. My favorite blushes are the Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush by Tarte. My favorite colors are Exposed and Feisty. I use one of these when I’m going for a super natural look. I also have the Love Flush Long Lasting 16 Hour Blush wardrobe by Too Faced. This palette contains just about any blush color that I will ever need. I like it because it is so versatile. I used to carry it in my professional kit until I replaced it with the Smashbox palette.
7. For contour and highlight, I use the Park Avenue Princess palette by Tarte. I don’t recommend this palette for just every day use. It contains too many shades that you may never use, like me. I only usethe first four shades because the other shades are too dark for me. I used to carry it in my professional kit until I replaced it with the Mehron Contour and Highlight palette. I replaced it because the Mehron palette is a better product and the palette contains a wider range of colors.
8. For highlight, I have two palettes. My favorite one is the Photo Strip Highlighting Palette by Smashbox. I like is because ithas contains 5 different highlighting shades. The shades range from peach all the way to a crystal white. I also have the Skin Twinkle Lighting Palette byTarte. (Have you noticed yet that I have an obsession with Tarte?) This palette isn’t as versatile because it only contains two highlighting shades but the product goes on smoothly and the colors are gorgeous and are not contained inthe Smashbox palette.
9. My favorite eyebrow product is the AnastasiaBeverly Hills Brow Whiz. I am in the color Dark Brown. I also carry several shades of this brow pencil in my professional kit since they are my very favorites. I’m a natural brow kind of girl and this product helps me to achieve that easily.
10. Now on to eyeshadow palettes. I’ll try to name just a few of my favorites even though I own several.
a. My very favorite is the Norvina palette byAnastasia Beverly Hills. Can you guess why? My hair is PINK! This palette contains the most beautiful pinks and purples which, I think, look great with my hair color. The downside of this palette is that it is not very versatile.If you don’t want a pink or purple eye look, this palette is not for you.
b. I also have a Makeup Geek palette that I have hand picked all of the shades for. Makeup Geek shadows come in a rainbow of colors and are very long lasting. The great thing about these shadows is that you can custom build your own palette to your liking. I have neutrals, browns,cherry, pinks, purples, and greys in my palette. I also have several of the duo toned shadows which are very fun to play with! They will change color depending on the lighting. Eyeshadow just doesn’t get better than Makeup Geek!
c. Another fun palette that I have is the Fall Into Frost palette by Morphe. I like this palette because I can create any shimmer eye look that I can dream up! The downside to this palette is that it only contains about six or seven matte/transitional shades which aren’t very versatile. It’s a fun palette to play with, though.
d. I can’t lie! I also will steal eye shadow palettes out of my professional kit when I get bored with my own. My favoriteto steal is the Morphe Warm it Up Artistry palette. This palette is nice because it contains a wide range of shadows in both matte and shimmer. I can create a lot of different looks with this palette. That’s why it usually stays in my professional kit.
11. I have several different brands of my makeup brushes that I like to use. My very favorites are my Crown brushes because theyare so well made. I also have a few MAC, Anastasia Beverly Hills, and UrbanDecay brushes as well.
12. For eyeliner, I usually like a liquid eyeliner.My favorite is the MAC liquid liner. My right eye tends to water and tear alot. This happens especially in the mornings. There are many mornings that I do not apply eyeliner at all because of this. Runny eyeliner is not pretty eyeliner!
13. I have so many lip colors, I’ll just name a fewof my favorites. I have a whole bag of lipsticks and lip glosses that is really just out of control! My favorite brands are Tartiest Lip Paint (of course!),Stilla, and Lorac, just to name a few! I also own the entire library of NYX’sLip Lingerie including each lip liner that coordinates. I don’t recommend this library to everyone because it does contain some different shades such as blues and greens. As a Texas makeup artist, I feel like I can get away with the use of more fun colors such as these. See, I told you my lip collection was out of control!
That’s about all of my favorite makeup products that I keepin my personal makeup kit. I usually tend to collect throw offs from myprofessional kit as I discover newer and better products for my professional makeup kit.
That wraps up the products that I keep in my skin care and personal makeup kits. Please note that I am not a dermatologist and all of the information that was not sourced above is my own professional opinion and derived from my own personal experience. If you have any questions concerning any of the before mentioned products, I will gladly answer them or direct youto the correct source. You can find much more information on the products that were mentioned by clicking on the source sites that I documented for you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this extensive blog post! I hope that it contained beneficial information for you and inspired you to try new and different products. I hope that you have learned howi mportant good skin care is. It really is the foundation for a beautiful makeu papplication!
Until next time!